Chicago World's Fair/1893 Columbian Exposition Food Tour
Come one, come all to the original 1893 World’s Fair Tour! Lead by none other than Bertha Honore Palmer, you’ll be whisked back in time to May 1, 1893, when the Chicago World’s Fair, opened in Jackson Park. Nearly 27 million people came to the fairgrounds to experience a showcase of more than 65,000 exhibits – everything from advanced technology, plants, art, entertainment and, most important to us, food. Many popular foods first debuted here and you’ll have a chance to try several while “Chicago’s Gold Coast Queen”, Bertha Palmer, entertains you with her favorite delicious memories of the great 1893 Columbian Exposition.
Begin your Original Worlds Fair tour with a breathtaking view of the city of Chicago when you meet Bertha Palmer at this artistic club. Historic members include Daniel Burnham and Frank Lloyd Wright. As Bertha’s guest at the Club you will be served a delicious meal and dessert while enjoying aerial views of Grant Park, Millennium Park, and Lake Michigan. Dessert is very special here, as you will have your choice of the famous Burnham pie.
Enjoy a delicious chocolate dessert created specifically for a special luncheon hosted by Bertha Palmer at the Women’s Pavilion at the Columbian Exposition!
The Century Room located within the Berghoff is the perfect setting for the 1893 World’s Fair Food Tour and you’ll see why once you arrive! Savor one of Herman Berghoff’s Fair favorites!
A fair favorite popcorn snack will be served in this underground network of walkways. This delicious treat is handmade especially for Tastebud Food Tours.
Enjoy a frankfurter (but NOT any ordinary frankfurter), which debuted at the fair, in this Spanish Gothic Revival style building with its trademark interior lobby and atrium, surrounded by balconies and shop windows on all sides.
- Tours are walking tours, and run Fridays and Saturdays, May - October. Please wear comfortable shoes and clothing and dress for rain or shine! This tour generally lasts 3 hours.
- All Tastebud guests will receive food from each Tastebud food stop. Menu items vary, so come hungry! Vegetarian options are available – please let us know in advance. We apologize, but we cannot accommodate vegan or gluten free dietary restrictions.
- Guests are welcome to to purchase adult (21 and over) or other beverages where available along the way of your Tastebud Tours journey.
- The price of this tour is $68.00 and includes all food.
- This tour starts at The Cliff Dwellers Club, 200 S Michigan Ave, Chicago.